What Is PG And VG?
At their core, eLiquids contain four ingredients; water, nicotine, flavorings, and a PG or VG base. PG and VG are non-toxic additives that allow eLiquids and E-Cigarettes to produce vapor. They are commonly mixed in most eLiquids to provide the right mix of vapor production.
Aside from being used in the E-Cigarette industry, PG and VG are used in numerous other common products, such as: baby wipes, pet food, asthma inhalers and many pharmaceuticals.
Propylene Glycol (PG)
PG is an organic glycerol made from propylene oxide and is the most popular of the two additive options. PG offers a relatively thin consistency, meaning the eLiquids using it are less heavy and won’t stick to the polyfill material in the heating element of your E-Cig device. The low consistency also means eLiquids using PG are more easily absorbed, offering a strong throat hit, similar to tobacco cigarettes. The one downside of PG is they have been known to cause allergic reactions in certain users, ranging from minor throat tingling to serious skin irritations. If experiencing any allergic reactions from Propylene Glycol, users should see the doctor immediately.
Vegetable Glycerin (VG)
VG is made from vegetable oil and is naturally richer and thicker in substance. The high-consistency helps produce substantial amounts of vapor output, which is attractive to frequent vapers. Yet, VGs offer minimal throat hits and naturally contain a sweet taste, which can mask the flavoring in eLiquids.
Key Differences Between PG And VG
The Perfect Ratio Of PG And VG
Because there are benefits to both PG and VG, many eLiquids combine the two additives for the ultimate vaping experience. To help users understand these mixes and ensure they can purchase the ideal eLiquid for their needs, here are the most commonly used ratios:
- 100% PG: Heavy throat hit, with minimal vapor output & robust flavors
- 80/20 (PG/VG): Strong throat hit and flavor, with minimal vapor output
- 70/30 (PG/VG): More vapor, slightly less throat hit & flavor
- 60/40 (PG/VG): Even more vapor, with noticeable throat hit & flavor
- 50/50 (PG/VG): A perfect balance, offering quality vapor output & light throat hit
- 40/60 (PG/VG): Larger vapor clouds, with lessened throat hit & moderate flavor
- 30/70 (PG/VG): Strong vapor output, with minimal throat hit & moderate flavor
- 20/80 (PG/VG): Very strong vapor, with slight throat hit & moderate flavor
- 100% VG: Highest vapor production, with hint of a throat hit & sweeter flavor
Now that you know the characteristics of both Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG), users can make an educated decision when viewing our wide selection of various PG and VG-based eLiquids. Shop below: